Arts Events in Melbourne October 4 – October 10
The prospect of extended daylight next week has the city buzzing, or is it just us? Summer really is coming!
The Finders Keepers travelling market is back in the Royal Exhibition Building on Friday and Saturday for its spring/summer session. The market, which supports emerging designers, will host 150 stalls full of clothes, artwork and homewares, as well as live music, coffee and food stalls aplenty. Bring cash (entry is $2 at the door) and arrive early if you can.
Spoken word performers will gather at the Australian Poetry Slam Finals on Friday October 4 at the State Library to find out who will be crowned Victoria’s best slam poet. Even if you’re not a poet, you could find yourself on the judging panel – judges are randomly selected from members of the audience.
In celebration of Mental Health Week, Sandy Jeffs, a Melbourne based poet with schizophrenia, will be talking about her experiences with mental illness and writing at the Bastow Institute of Educational Leadership in North Melbourne on Wednesday October 9.
Fans of the Phryne Fisher Murder Mystery books can celebrate the launch of Miss Fisher’s 20th adventure, Murder and Mendelssohn, at Coburg Library on Wednesday October 9. Author Kerry Greenwood will be signing books on the night.
And Phillip Werner, the author of the much talked about 101 Vagina, which is focused on breaking the taboo around vaginas and women’s bodies in general, will be appearing at Readings Carlton with some of the book’s participants on Thursday October 10.
*Images courtesy of zoemou and Goodreads.
- RT @wheelercentre: Last week, Australia lost a formidable young literary talent. @adolfo_ae pays tribute to the spirit of Kat Muscat: http:… 1 year ago
- Enter the Richell Prize for Emerging Writers for a chance at $10,000 & a 12-month mentorship with @HachetteAus bit.ly/1AvpjzE #EWF15 2 years ago
- @karysrhiann Sorry for that, our mistake 2 years ago
- The Yen Short Story Competition is open for entries until July 28. The theme is 'spoon'. Amazing prizes to be won! bit.ly/1Kr1nxp 2 years ago
- RT @scribepub: The rumours are true. The @scribepub/@Express__Media Nonfiction Prize for Young Writers opens for entries next month! http:/… 2 years ago